You wouldn’t hire a doctor to fix your car, just as you wouldn’t go to the mechanic if you were sick. This simple logic is often lost on business owners who think that designing their logo is a task that can be completed in-house. Like any visual creation, a great logo can mean the difference between success or being left by the wayside. The concept for the actual logo might be based on a moment of inspiration, but its actual creation will require the expertise of a professional logo designer.You wouldn't hire a doctor to fix your car, just as you wouldn't go to the mechanic if you were sick! Click To Tweet
The Psychology Of A Logo
Creative content might be queen when it comes to developing a brand, but it’s the logo that reigns as king. A logo has the power to create an emotional & psychological response that can immediately impact the way customers, or potential customers, interact with the brand. It relies on the subconscious ways that our minds respond to shapes, colors, and at times words. From the infamous Nike Swoosh to the easily recognizable BP symbol, the logo is synonymous with brand recognition.
Hiring a professional logo is paramount if you want your brand to achieve the following benefits.
- Remain Recognizable In A Sea Of Customers. — If you have a “cookie cutter” logo that was designed in your spare time, then you are not going to stand out from your competitors. For anyone thinking “I’ll spend the money on a professional logo once my business is successful,” you might want to think again. Often times the logo is what helps to propel your business towards success. Using a professional logo designer can help you to distinguish your company, while you build a loyal brand following.
- Create A Positive First Impression. — It is no secret that we are bombarded with advertisements and visual stimulus throughout the day. A professionally designed logo will be strategically designed to combat shorter attention spans, while simultaneously breaking through the “visual noise.” From the color to the font to the size and shape, your logo can be a unique representation that delivers a positive (and lasting) impression.
- Save Time. — Business owners are often running around like chickens with their heads chopped off. Unless you are an expert using Adobe suite, or any of the other popular design programs, you will waste valuable time trying to create your logo. A professional logo designer will have the skill needed to create, design, and deliver the logo that best represents your brand.
Brilliant Examples Of The Importance Of A Powerful Logo
Powerful logos can change the future of a company, brand, business, or even an individual. Take, for example, the city of Belfast. In 2008 the city spent an estimated $280,000 to redesign their logo into a heart-shaped B with the name of the city written up the side. The iconic symbol for love was chosen to showcase that the city had left behind its violent past in favor of a more positive and loving future.
In 2000 the multinational company, Andersen Consulting, rebranded to Accenture and the tune of $100 million. The company wanted to re-brand as a result of terminating a contract. They replaced their name and logo to convey a new message that the company would “accent on the future.” The downside of this expensive rebranding effort was that the new name lacked meaning. Never-the-less, the company was able to conduct numerous iterations within the past decade to remain a well known industry name.
Finally, one of the most iconic and recognizable logo designs is none-other-than Coca-Cola. The iconic name dates back to 1886 and with the exception of a few minor tweaks has remained the same for over 130 years. It goes to show that a great logo can be designed for little to no cost, so long as you have an expert who can determine how to best translate brand imagery to a growing population of consumers.
Where Can You Find A Professional Logo Designer?
In today’s digitally driven world, there are a number of places that you can turn to for your professionally created logo. While the list could go on for pages, we have narrowed it down to four examples that will help you to discover what approach is best for your business.
- Designhill.com — Designhill.com is an online crowd sourcing platform. It is built to help business and entrepreneurs connect with graphic design artists. These artists can be hired to complete logo designs, as well as other graphic materials, such as business cards or marketing materials.
- 99designs — 99designs is an online graphic design marketplace. The company is headquartered in San Francisco. It also has offices in Melbourne, Berlin, Paris, London and Rio de Janeiro, making it accessible to companies around the globe. Through an easy to use platform, companies can post projects, wait for graphic artists to bid, and choose the professional that they think is best suited for the task.
- Mytton Williams — Designers and partners Bob Mytton and Sophie Williams founded Mytton Williams in 1996. The company has achieved both national and international recognition by winning numerous awards for their ability to “design brands with intelligent simplicity.” The firm is a classic example of the importance of letting a professional create a powerful first image through a brilliantly designed logo.
- Urban Influence — This Seattle based firm is a “soup-to-nuts branding, design and interactive studio.” It was founded in 2003 and has grown to become a multi-service design firm that has worked with a multitude of well known companies.
The moral of the story is simple: a logo doesn’t have to cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but, if you want it to succinctly showcase the values of your brand then it does have to be professionally created. In a world where competition is fierce and customer loyalty is wavering, businesses need to create a positive and lasting impression with a professionally created logo.